By Shaneil Snipe
Title: Alton Keefer Farris collection, 1907-2003
Extent: 2.0 Boxes
Arrangement: The Alton Keefer Farris collection is housed in one (1) archival box and an oversized box. The materials were generally kept in the order they were found, with the exception of a few documents that were better grouped based on their subject matter. The items that make up this collection range from 1907 to 2003.
Subjects: Huntsville (Tex.) - History, Texas. Department of Criminal Justice, Walker County (Tex.)
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Alton Keefer Farris Collection consists of various financial records including checks, receipts and invoices. Also included are legal documents including subpoenas and property records.
Collection Historical Note
Alton Keefer Farris was born on November 6, 1931 to Alton Boone Farris and Erma Keefer Farris in North Zulch, Texas. He graduated from Huntsville High School and moved on to receive a degree in education from the Sam Houston State Teachers College. Mr. Farris served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was also a teacher and principal at the Pine Prairie and Huntsville school districts. His last job was as a Recreational Consultant for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. He served as a deacon at the Chapelwood Missionary Baptist church and was a supporter of the Shriners organization. Mr. Farris also worked as a Notary Public and Justice of the Peace for the Huntsville area. He married Naomi Voyles and they had two children, Ruth and Alton Keefer Farris, Jr. Mr. Farris died on June 1, 2006.
SHSU Special Collections & University Archives
The materials represented in this finding aid have been made available for research, teaching and private use. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print, make photocopies, or download) these items without prior permission on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies.
Please contact the Newton Gresham Library's Special Collections and University Archives department to request permissions to reproduce materials for any other purpose, or to obtain information regarding the copyright status of a particular digital image, text, audio or video recording.
The Alton Keefer Farris collection. Thomason Special Collections, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Huntsville National Bank Checks, 1927-1944
- Folder 2: Richards State Bank Checks, 1924-1926
- Folder 3: Checks and Invoices related to B.D. Bordeaux, 1928-1937
- Folder 4: Walker County Gin Co. Checks, 1935
- Folder 5: Smither Grocery Co. Checks and Invoice, 1930-1940
- Folder 6: Agricultural financial records, mortgages and other materials, 1927-1946
- Folder 7: Medical related checks, invoices and receipts, 1932-1944
- Folder 8: Order office and catalog order department receipts, 1939
- Folder 9: Tax receipts and other tax records, 1925-1947
- Folder 10: Motor vehicle related receipts and other financial records, 1925-1945
- Folder 11: First National Bank of Huntsville promissory notes, 1925-1926
- Folder 12: United States District Court Civil Subpoena, 1931 June 22
- Folder 13: Miscellaneous financial records and materials, 1939-1946
- Folder 14: Alton Farris' Ledger, 1907-1912
- Folder 15: Correspondence from Ruth Farris Phillips, 2003 June 6
- Folder 16: Miscellaneous legal documents, 1895-1908
- Folder 17: Brass Buttons, no date
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Acknowledgement Records [OV], 1905-1924
- Folder 2: Justice of the Peace Civil Docket, Walker County [OV], 1906-1919