By Deanna Rainey
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Camp Ben McCulloch Confederate Veterans Reunion Collection (1871-1960; three boxes) contains newspaper articles, journals, photographs, and commemorative reunion medals. The collection also includes miniature Union and Confederate General Books collected by T.F. Harwell. These miniature books are located in SHSU Special Collection’s display case 5.
Collection Historical Note
Thomas Fletcher Harwell was Adjutant of the United Confederate Veterans of Texas for 23 years, and one of the last surviving Confederate veterans before his death in July of 1939. He wrote the book “Eighty Years Under the Stars and Bars” which is located in SHSU Special Collections.
Camp Ben McCulloch was founded in the summer of 1896, and named for Benjamin McCulloch, a Confederate General who died during the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas in 1862. Ben McCulloch had previously served in the Battle of San Jacinto. He was also a Texas Ranger. General Ben McCulloch is buried at the Texas State Cemetery in Austin. The camp was established for Confederate veterans and recently celebrated its 119th annual reunion.
SHSU Special Collections & University Archives
The materials represented in this finding aid have been made available for research, teaching and private use. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print, make photocopies, or download) these items without prior permission on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies.
Please contact the Newton Gresham Library's Special Collections and University Archives department to request permissions to reproduce materials for any other purpose, or to obtain information regarding the copyright status of a particular digital image, text, audio or video recording.
Camp Ben McCulloch Confederate Veterans Reunion Collection. Thomason Special Collections, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
Browse by Series:
- Series 1
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion Newspaper Clippings and Roll Journal, 1916 September 10 - 1936
- Journal containing newspaper clippings pasted to the pages and a roll sheet for attendance to various Camp Ben McCulloch Reunions.
- Folder 2: Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion Newspaper Clippings loose from journal, 1941-1945
- Newspaper clippings pasted to loose pages that had been placed inside the tall journal in folder 2 of box 1
- Folder 3: Confederate Newspaper Clippings Journal, circa 1960s
- Small journal containing Confederate newspaper clippings, found alongside an envelope reading "Confederate woman's journal"; photocopy of the envelope reading "Confederate woman's journal"
- Folder 4: Confederate Newspaper Clippings from small journal, 1871 February 11-14; 1901 January 24-30; undated
- Various newspaper clippings that were placed loosely into the small 'Confederate woman's journal'
- Folder 5: Camp Ben McCulloch Annual Reunion Photograph, 1923 July 26
- Large group picture. United Confederate Veterans 26th Annual Reunion Driftwood, TX
- Folder 6: Camp Ben McCulloch Confederate States of America Flag Photograph, undated
- Original Confederate States of America flag with 13 stars.
- Folder 7: Camp Ben McCulloch Annual Reunion Photographs, circa 1940, 1941
- Photographs of the Camp Ben McCulloch Annual Reunion. Includes pictures of the festivities and veterans. Several pictures of William Banks, Captain of Houston. Also pictured, T.F. Harwell.
- Folder 8: Camp Ben McCulloch Annual Reunion Collage, circa 1940, 1941
- Collage with pictures of Abraham Byrd, Chas. Clark, Jas. M. Grant, E.P. Shelton, T.F. Harwell, Carl M. Howard, L.T. Tiner, Mrs. J.H. Howard, A.G. Collins, D.C. Flippin, R.P. Ray, Isaiah Harbour, Wm. Banks, G.A. Petty, and R.L. Burks.
- Folder 9: Portrait of General John M. Claypool, undated
- Folder 10: Camp Ben McCulloch Civil War Veterans Photographs, undated
- Unidentified Civil War Veterans.
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion Newspaper Articles from the Kyle News, 1917-1939
- Volume 15, Number 16 of The Kyle News headlining the Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (1917 August 3); Two copies of Volume 6, Number 18 of The Kyle News headlining excellent conditions and turn out of the 42nd Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (1938 August 12); Two copies of Volume 37, Number 13 of The Kyle News headlining 43rd Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (1939 July 7)
- Folder 2: Camp Ben McCulloch Newspaper Articles, 1939
- Clipping from The Austin American featuring article "Voices Too Weak for Rebel Yell but Love of south Still Warm in Hearts of Reunion Vets" (1939 July 28); Volume 26, Number 59 of The Austin American headlining the 43rd Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (1939 July 28); Clipping from San Antonio Express newspaper with full page containing article about the 43rd Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (1939 July 28); Page from San Antonio Express newspaper (1939 July 28); Volume 41, Number 29 of The Guadalupe Gazetter Bulletin with an article over Ben McCulloch (1939 August 3); Two copies of Volume 37, Number 17 of The Kyle News newspaper featuring article of the turnout of the Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (1939 August 4); Two copies of Volume 37, Number 18 of The Kyle News newspaper featuring article over the deliverance of the Confederate memorial address (1939 August 11); Program of the 43rd Camp Ben McCulloch Reunion (circa 1939)
- Box 3
- Item 1: Confederate Veteran Annual Reunion Medal, 1937
- Gold Medal that reads "Jackson, Miss. 1937"
- Item 2: Confederate Veteran Annual Reunion Medal with Ribbon, 1938
- Gold Medal that reads "Columbia, South Carolina 1938". Includes additional attached medal and ribbon. Assistant Chief of Ordnance.
- Item 3: Confederate Veteran Annual Reunion Medal with Ribbon, 1938
- Gold Medal that reads "Columbia, South Carolina 1938". Includes additional attached medal and ribbon.
- Item 4: Brigade Staff Ribbon, undated
- Red and white ribbon. No medal attached.
- Item 5: T.F. Harwell Brigade Commander Medal and Ribbon, 1940
- 44th Reunion.
- Item 6: U.C.V. 50th Golden Reunion Medal with Ribbons, 1940, 1941, undated
- Two medals attached to three ribbons.
- Item 7: T.F. Harwell Battle of Gettysburg Medal and Ribbon, circa 1938
- 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.
- Item 8: United Confederate Veterans Reunion Ribbons, 1931-1945
- Five ribbons from the Camp Ben McCulloch U.C.V. Reunions.
- Item 9: Driftwood Reunion Pin and Ribbon, undated
- Pin with portrait of Brig. General. Ben McCulloch.
- Item 10: Daughters of the United Confederacy Medal, undated
- One medal with no ribbon.
- Item 11: Confederate Reunion Medal, 1917-1918
- Bronze medal hanging from a red and white ribbon.