By Shaneil Snipe
Title: Sam Houston Celebration Collection, 1900-1993
Extent: 2.0 Boxes
The Sam Houston Bicentennial Collection consists of correspondence, articles, clippings, catalogues and materials relating to the Bicentennial celebration. This collection is housed in two archival boxes, arranged in two series. Series one contains correspondence related to seeking additional Sam Houston materials, clippings and articles about Sam Houston the man. Series two has materials relating to Sam Houston’s Bicentennial celebrations. Materials in both series are dated 1992 and 1993.
This collection was accumulated by the former Special Collections Librarian Paul Culp.
Subjects: Houston, Sam, 1793-1863, Huntsville (Tex.) - History
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The materials that make up the first series are a part of efforts made to acquire Sam Houston (the man) related materials. Correspondence between Mr. Paul Culp and various University and College libraries make up a large part of this series. There are also catalogues and other lists showing Sam Houston-related holdings. The second series consists entirely of materials related to Sam Houston’s Centennial Celebrations including brochures, invitations and newspaper clippings. Many of these items have biographical information about Sam Houston the man including timelines of his life and accomplishments, as well as information about the celebrations themselves which took place all over Huntsville, Texas in 1993 (two hundred years after Sam Houston’s birth.)
SHSU Special Collections & University Archives
The materials represented in this finding aid have been made available for research, teaching and private use. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print, make photocopies, or download) these items without prior permission on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies.
Please contact the Newton Gresham Library's Special Collections and University Archives department to request permissions to reproduce materials for any other purpose, or to obtain information regarding the copyright status of a particular digital image, text, audio or video recording.
Sam Houston Celebration Collection. Thomason Special Collections, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
- Series 1
- Box 1
- Folder 1A: Correspondence recruiting Sam Houston Materials, 1992
- Folder 1B: Correspondence recruiting Sam Houston Materials, 1992 December-1993 January; undated
- Folder 2: Articles about Sam Houston, 1900; 1980; 1993; undated
- Folder 3: Catalogues and lists of Sam Houston Materials, 1949; 1969; 1992 ;1993; undated
- Folder 4: Sam Houston Clippings, 1962; 1992
- Folder 5: Notes relating to the recruitment of Sam Houston Materials, 1992; undated
- Series 2
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Sam Houston Bicentennial Birthday Celebration Materials, 1993
- Folder 2: Sam Houston Bicentennial Letter Materials, 1993
- Folder 3: Correspondence relating to Sam Houston's Bicentennial Celebration, 1992 June-1993 May
- Folder 4: Sam Houston Bicentennial Clippings, 1991-1993
- Folder 5: Sam Houston Bicentennial Publications, 1992-1993
- Folder 6: Sam Houston Bicentennial Birthday Celebration; The Huntsville Item, 1993 February 28
- Folder 7: Birthday bash ; The Sam Houston State Houstonian, 1993 March 4
- 2 copies
- Folder 8: Happy 200; Houston Chronicle, 1993 February 28