By Deanna Rainey
Title: Alamo Flags Collection, 1933-1987
Extent: 1.0 Boxes
Arrangement: This collection consists of newspaper clippings and photographs relating to the Alamo. The documents are arranged by content type. The collection is located on the SHSU Special Collection’s manuscript shelves.
Subjects: Alamo (San Antonio, Tex.), Texas - History - Revolution, 1835-1836
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Alamo flag collection (1933-1987; 1 box) includes newspaper clippings and photographs of flags of the Alamo. The two flags in this collection were captured by the troops of Santa Anna on March 6, 1836, when the Alamo fell after a thirteen-day siege. These flags were photographed at the Museo de Chapultepec (where they still reside) by Dr. Jesse Burleson, former Head of Foreign Languages. Dr. Burleson had them framed in Mexico City.
SHSU Special Collections & University Archives
The materials represented in this finding aid have been made available for research, teaching and private use. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print, make photocopies, or download) these items without prior permission on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies.
Please contact the Newton Gresham Library's Special Collections and University Archives department to request permissions to reproduce materials for any other purpose, or to obtain information regarding the copyright status of a particular digital image, text, audio or video recording.
Alamo Flags Collection. SHSU Special Collections, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
- Series 1
- Sub-Series 1
- Box 1
- Item 1: "Texas woman gets picture of flag at Alamo" Newspaper Article, 1933 February 19
- Houston Chronicle
- Item 2: "Letters will ask new Mexican president to return Alamo flag" Newspaper Article, 1987 October 9
- Houston Chronicle
- Item 3: Framed photograph of miniature flag, 1939
- "First Company of Texan Volunteers from New Orleans" Gift of Jesse Burleson
- Item 4: Framed photograph of miniature flag, 1939
- "Galveston's Invincible , Our Independence" Gift of Jesse Burleson